This Day in Georgia History
July 02, 1826
Georgia-Alabama Boundary Surveyed
When Georgia ceded its western territories to the United States in 1802, the agreement stipulated that Georgia’s western boundary was the western bank of the Chattahoochee River from the Florida boundary on the south northward to Miller’s Bend [present-day West Point, Georgia]. From Miller’s Bend, the boundary extended northward in a direct line to Nickajack [near present-day Chattanooga, Tenn.] In 1819, Alabama was created from a portion of the land ceded by Georgia in 1802 and admitted as a state. In the following years, Georgia wanted Alabama to participate in a survey of their joint boundary from Miller’s Bend to Nickajack. Each state was supposed to appoint a team, consisting of a surveyor, commissioners, and others to assist in the survey. Alabama appointed two commissioners but no surveyor. On July 2, 1826, commissioners from Georgia and Alabama met at Fort Mitchell, Alabama (near present day Columbus, Ga.) to begin surveying the land to establish the Georgia-Alabama border where the line left the Chattahoochee River. Alabama commissioners soon abandoned the work; the Georgia team completed the survey. While Alabama disputed Miller’s Bend as the starting point of the line and disagreed with some of the surveying, it finally ratified the boundary line in 1840.