This Day in Georgia History
May 08, 1913
Oglethorpe University Incorporated
In DeKalb County, Oglethorpe University was incorporated by the state of Georgia - marking the third birth of the institution named for Georgia’s founder. The new university was built in what at the time was countryside. The first Oglethorpe University had been founded in 1836 near Milledgeville, but closed after the Civil War. Oglethorpe University was revived in Atlanta in Oct. 1870, but financial problems forced the school to closed after two years. This time, the university would succeed.