This Day in Georgia History
March 22, 1956
Camp Gordon Designated as Fort Gordon
The Augusta Chronicle carried a large banner headline proclaiming that Camp Gordon had been redesignated Fort Gordon by the U.S. Army. During the Korean War, the facility had served as a training center, but by 1955 its training function had been deactivated and only the 95th Military Government Group was stationed at the camp. U.S. Senator Walter F. George had pushed for reactivation of the camp with a new mission (and it was he who personally called Chronicle publisher William Morris on Mar. 21 with news of the Army’s decision) In March 1957, Fort Gordon was designated as a training center for Military Police and the Signal Corps, and by August had 20,000 officers and enlisted men, plus more than 2,500 civilian workers.