|Welcome to GeorgiaInfo | What's New | This Day in Georgia History | Instructional Handout Masters | Credits | Photos & Images | Georgia Trivia ||
1722 James Oglethorpe was elected to the House of Commons from Haslemere, a Surrey town near Godalming (where the Oglethorpe's Westbrook Manor estate was situated) where Oglethorpe owned various properties. This was the same parliamentary seat that his father and one of his older brothers had held.
1834 Businessman and politician Rufus Bullock was born in Bethlehem, New York. After a successful career constructing telegraph lines in several large northern cities, Bullock moved south to Augusta in 1857 . Working with The Southern Express Company, Bullock was soon constructing telegraph lines thoughout the South. Although he was personally opposed to secession, he continued to build telegraph and railroad lines for the Confederacy. The Civil War devastated Georgia's economy, and after the war Bullock found it difficult to obtain loans to rebuild his business. Told that the money would be available when Georgia was readmitted to the Union, Bullock became involved in politics. A Republican, he supported Reconstruction as the quickest and most efficient way to speed Georgia's economic recovery.
In 1868, Bullock narrowly defeated ex-Confederate John B. Gordon in the gubernatorial race – but his victory came at an inopportune time. The Democratic legislature, still bitter from the war and Reconstruction policies, opposed him at every step. Bullock was eventually forced to request that military control (which had ended in 1868) be reestablished. With such control in place and many ex-Confederates barred from office, Bullock faced a more cooperative legislature in 1870. This body approved the Fourteenth and Fifteenth amendments, and Georgia was officially restored to the Union in the summer of 1870. But Bullock had made many enemies, and his administration was accused of corruptness and squandering the state treasury. As a result, Bullock quietly resigned in October 1871 and fled the state. He was arrested in New York and returned to Atlanta for trial. In court, prosecutors could not prove that Bullock had done anything illegal. The debt he had incurred had been used to redeem pre-war debts, build railroads, improve schools, and move the capital from Milledgeville to Atlanta. Vindicated in court, Bullock remained in Atlanta, resumed a successful business career, and became one of the city's leading citizens. He served on the boards of banks, railroads, and the Chamber of Commerce. Bullock also was on the board of directors and presided over opening ceremonies for the Cotton States and International Exposition in 1895. In 1903, with his health failing, he returned to his family home in Albion, N.Y., where he died on April 27, 1907.
1889 Atlanta lumber dealer George V. Gress and railroad contractor Thomas J. James attended an auction of a bankrupt traveling circus at the Fulton County courthouse. The two joined together for the winning bid of $4,485. James wanted the circus wagons and railroad cars for his business, while Gress was interested in the collection of circus animals – which consisted of four lions, two wildcats, two deer, two monkeys, two snakes, and one each of the following: a hyena, gazelle, raccoon, elk, Mexican hog, camel, and dromedary. A few days later, Gress offered the animals and their cages to the city of Atlanta. Several days after that, the city council accepted and decided to locate the animals in Grant Park. Gress then took responsibility for building a large brick building and outdoor cages to house the animals, giving Atlanta its first zoo.
Gress' generosity did not end here. In 1893, he and Charles Northern purchased the cyclorama painting of the Battle of Atlanta, which they placed in Grant Park for public viewing. Over the next six years, Gress donated the $12,000 in admissions to see the cyclorama for use in helping Atlanta's poor children.
In 1898, Gress donated the painting to the city of Atlanta. In 1921, the city built a permanent facility – known as the Cyclorama – for the painting in Grant Park.
1935 Gov. Eugene Talmadge signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly [see text] adopting a pledge of allegiance to the Georgia state flag, which at the time consisted of three bars – red, white, and red – with a vertical blue band on which was centered the state seal.
The new pledge stated: "I pledge allegiance to the Georgia flag and to the principles for which it stands; Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation."
1961 Gov. Ernest Vandiver signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly protesting a threat by the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare to cut off all federal welfare funds if Georgia implemented an act of the legislature prohibiting welfare payments to any mother for more than one illegitimate child.
1961 Gov. Vandiver signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly appropriating $75,000 to complete the restoration of Fort McAllister in Bryan County.
1961 Gov. Vandiver signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly directing the construction and erection of monuments at Gettysburg and Antietam to honor Georgians killed in battle. The action came in conjunction with the Civil War Centennial and was prompted by the fact that Georgia was the only southern state without a memorial at either battlefield. Identical 15 1/2-foot-tall monuments of Georgia blue granite were sculpted by Harry Sellers of Marietta Memorials. At the top of the shaft is the word "GEORGIA" over the state seal. Lower on the shaft is the inscription, "Georgia Confederate Soldiers, We sleep here in obedience; When duty called, we came; When Countdry called, we died." The Antietam monument was dedicated Sept. 20, 1961, with the Gettysburg monument dedicated the following day.
1968 Gov. Lester Maddox signed legislation allowing the commercial raising of alligators subject to regulation by the State Game and Fish Commission.
1972 Gov. Jimmy Carter signed Georgia's "Sunshine Law" mandating opening meetings of state boards and commissions, subject to a few exceptions (such as personnel matters, real estate acquisition, and proceedings of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles).
1988 Gov. Joe Frank Harris signed a joint resolution of the General Assembly ratifying the 27th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which provides: "No law varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened." However, the U.S. State Department, which is formally responsible for monitoring the ratification of amendments by states, considers Feb. 2, 1988 as the date of the Georgia's ratification. Its rationale is that under the U.S. Constitution, there is no requirement for a governor to approve a state's ratification. Thus, the State Department considers the date that the second house of a bicameral state legislature approves the ratification is the date of that state's ratification.
The enhanced park is intended to serve as a continuing legacy of the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics. [See 2008 Photos]
In Their Own Words on This Day. . .
1736 In Dec. 1735, James Oglethorpe had sailed from England with a new group of English colonists. Their destination, however, was not Savannah but rather St. Simons Island to the south. A second phase in the life of Georgia began in March 1736, when they arrived and began construction of a town to be known as Frederica. Shortly thereafter, Oglethorpe, Tomochichi, and a group of Indians left on a reconnaissance expedition to view the southernmost boundary of the lands claimed by the Creek Nation. Since Frederica was built on land claimed by both England and Spain, Oglethorpe was particularly interested in seeing firsthand the location and size of Spanish settlements and fortifications to the south. On Mar. 28, shortly after returning from this expedition, James Oglethorpe wrote two letters. One was a brief letter to the Trustees indicating how busy he had been:
Rather than detail what he observed on the expedition to the south, Oglethorpe included a copy of a letter he had written the same day to Thomas Broughton, Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina:
Source: Mills Lane (ed.), General Oglethorpe's Georgia: Colonial Letters, 1733-1743 (Savannah: Beehive Press, 1990), Vol. I, pp. 257-258.
1795 This day's Augusta Chronicle contained the following poem by an unnamed citizen upset over the Yazoo Land Fraud:
Source: Eliza Frances Andrews, The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl: 1864-1865 (New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1908), p. 122.
For more, see This Week in Georgia Civil War History.
To the best of our knowledge, images on this site are either (1) in the public domain, or (2) qualify for educational Fair Use under federal copyright law, or (3) are used by permission.
|©2013 Digital Library of Georgia||UGA | GALILEO | Contact Us|