Wilkinson County


Click map for more
county information

On June 16, 1802, the Creek Indians and U.S. commissioners signed the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson, which ceded Creek lands in two different areas to Georgia. The northern cession involved land west of the Oconee River, which the legislature divided into two new counties -- Wilkinson and Baldwin -- on May 11, 1803 (Ga. Laws 1803 Extra. Ses., p. 3).

In 1805, the Creeks signed the Treaty of Washington, which extended Georgia westward to the Ocmulgee River. An act of June 26, 1806 added lands ceded by the Creeks to Baldwin and Wilkinson counties (Ga. Laws 1806 Extra. Ses., p. 3).

In an act of Dec. 10, 1807, Laurens and Telfair counties were created entirely from Wilkinson County (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). In an act of Dec. 14, 1809, Twiggs County was created entirely from Wilkinson County (Ga. Laws 1809, p. 75).

Georgia's 28th county was named for Gen. James B. Wilkinson (1757-1825), one of the U.S. commissioners who negotiated the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson, in which the Creeks ceded the land that would be used to form Wilkinson County. Gen. Wilkinson, who served in the American Revolution and War of 1812, was the first governor of the Louisiana Territory (1805-1807).

 Historical Maps
 
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Wilkinson County Page