Terrell County


Click map for more
county information

Terrell County was created from Lee and Randolph counties on Feb. 16, 1856 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1855-56, p. 117). Georgia's 114th county was named for noted planter, promoter of scientific agriculture at the University of Georgia, and former Congressman and state legislator William Terrell of Sparta. Terrell died in July 1855, and a new county was named in his honor eight months later.

Terrell County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Terrell County Page