Telfair County


Click map for more
county information

Telfair County was created from Wilkinson County by an act of the General Assembly approved Dec. 10, 1807 (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 37). Georgia's 35th county was named for former governor and congressman Edward Telfair (1735-1807).

In 1812, the legislature transferred the portion of Telfair County between the Oconee and Little Ocmulgee rivers to Montgomery County. In 1819 and 1825, the legislature transferred respectively land lots 1 and 6 in Appling County to Telfair County (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 45 and 1825, p. 61). These transfers (see map) gave Telfair a substantial area of land south of the Ocmulgee River. However, in 1854, the legislature transferred this area to newly created Coffee County (Ga. Laws 1854, p. 294).

The last loss of land came in 1870, when areas of northern Telfair County were used to form Dodge County (Ga.Laws 1870, p. 18 ). However in 1872 and 1875, areas of Dodge County were transferred back to Telfair County (Ga. Laws 1872, p. 408 and 1875, p. 275). The last boundary adjustment came in 1877, when the lands of Bradley Harralson (land lots 265, 266, 272, and 273 in the 10th district) in Montgomery County were shifted Telfair County (Ga. Laws 1877, p. 277).

Telfair County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1807
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1838
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Telfair County Page