Richmond County


Click map for more
county information

The land that would form Richmond County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. The area of present-day Richmond County primarily fell within St. Paul Parish. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia. On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state's first constitution -- the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Richmond County, which was second on the list and thus is considered Georgia's second county, consisted of all of St. Paul Parish. The county was named for the third Duke of Richmond, Charles Lenox (1735-1806), who was British secretary of state and sympathetic to the cause of the American colonies.

In 1790, Columbia County was created from the northern half of Richmond County (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 9).

Richmond County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
 
1777
 
1796
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865a
 
1865b
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Richmond County Page