Randolph County


Click map for more
county information

Randolph County was created from Lee County on Dec. 20, 1828 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1828, p. 53). Georgia's 75th county was named for Virginia congressman John Randolph (1773-1833).

This was the second time that a Georgia county was named for John Randolph. Earlier, an act of Dec. 10, 1807 created a Randolph County. After John Randolph became unpopular for publicly opposing the U.S. declaration of war on Britain, Georgia legislators in 1812 voted to change the name of the original Randolph County to Jasper County. However, John Randolph's reputation eventually was restored, and in 1828 the General Assembly again named a new county in his honor.

Portions of Randolph County were used to form the following counties: Stewart (1830), Clay (1854), Terrell (1856), and Quitman (1858).

Randolph County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Randolph County Page