Pierce County


Click map for more
county information

Pierce County was created from Appling and Ware counties on Dec. 18, 1857 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 40). According to that act, the county's original boundaries were specified as:

"Commencing at the south-west corner of the ninth district of Ware, thence the line between the 8th and 9th district to the line of the 4th and 5th district, thence the line between the 4th and 5th to the Appling county line; thence a direct line to Lightsey's Ford, on Big Creek, in Appling county; thence the creek down to the Little Satilla River; thence down the river to the Wayne county line; thence the Wayne line to the line of Charlton county; thence the line of Charlton to the south-east corner of the 9th district of Ware; thence the district line to the south-west corner of the 9th district."

Georgia's 120th county was named for Pres. Franklin Pierce (1804-1869), whose term as fourteenth president had ended earlier that year.

Portions of Pierce County were used to create Bacon County (1914) and Brantley County (1920).

Pierce County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Pierce County Page