Laurens County


Click map for more
county information

Laurens County was created from Wilkinson County on Dec. 10, 1807 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). According to that legislation, Laurens County's original boundaries were specified as:

". . . all that tract or parcel of land herein after pointed out, long and being in the county of Wilkinson, beginning at the mouth of Big Sandy Creek, on the Oconce river, running south sixty degrees west to the Ocmulgee river; thence down the meanders of the same to the upper corner of the fourteenth district on said river; thence north sixty degrees cast to the Oconee river; thence up the same to the beginning. . . ."

Georgia's 34th county was named for Col. John Laurens of South Carolina. Laurens, who had been aide-de-camp to George Washington, was involved in numerous battles -- including the siege of Savannah -- and was killed in battle in 1782.

On Dec. 13, 1808, the legislature created Pulaski County from Laurens County (Ga. Laws 1808, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 52). On Dec. 11, 1858, portions of Laurens County were used to create Johnson County (Ga. Laws 1858, p. 32).

Laurens County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


Georgia Laurens County Page