Jasper County


Click map for more
county information

Originally named Randolph County, Jasper County was created from Baldwin County on Dec. 10, 1807 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). Georgia's 31st county was named for Virginia congressman John Randolph (1773-1833), whose political views were popular in Georgia. On Dec. 10, 1810, a legislative act renamed the county because of Randolph's opposition to the War of 1812 (though eventually he was forgiven and in 1828 would be recognized by having another new Georgia county named in his honor). On this day, the county became Jasper County in honor of Revolutionary War hero Sgt. William Jasper, who during the siege of Savannah was mortally wounded while retrieving his regiment's flag from the British.

In 1821, a portion of Jasper County was used to create Newton County.

Jasper County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Jasper County Page