Hall County


Click map for more
county information

On July 8, 1817, the Cherokee Indians signed the Treaty of the Cherokee Agency giving up lands in north central and northeastern Georgia. By an act of Dec. 15, 1818, the Georgia General Assembly created Gwinnett, Habersham, and Hall counties from the ceded lands (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). Additional Cherokee lands were ceded to Georgia on Feb. 27, 1819 in the Treaty of Washington, and in an act of Dec. 21, 1819, the legislature added some of ceded land to the western portions of Habersham and Hall counties (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 23).

Hall County was named for Lyman Hall, one of Georgia's three signers of the Declaration of Independence.

No new counties were created from Hall County; however, on numerous occasions between 1818 and 1870, the legislature transferred small amounts of land between Hall and neighboring counties.

Hall County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Hall County Page