Gwinnett County


Click map for more
county information

Gwinnett County was established on Dec. 15, 1818 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). That legislation created Gwinnett, Habersham, and Hall counties from lands ceded by the Cherokee Indians on July 8, 1817 in the Treaty of the Cherokee Agency and by the Creek Indians on January 22, 1818 in the Treaty of the Creek Agency. Both treaties were necessary because the traditional boundary between the Creeks and Cherokees ran through present-day Gwinnett County. Four days after the creation of Gwinnett County, the legislature added a portion of western Jackson County.

Georgia's 44th county was named for provisional Georgia governor and signer of the Declaration of Independence Button Gwinnett (1735-1777).

Portions of Gwinnett County were used to create DeKalb County (1822) and Barrow County (1914). Additionally, between 1819 and 1875, portions of Gwinnett were transferred to the following counties: Hall (1819), Jackson (1819), DeKalb (1823, 1828, and 1829), Walton (1820), and Rockdale (1875).

Gwinnett County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Gwinnett County Page