Franklin County


Click map for more
county information

Franklin and Washington counties were created on Feb. 25, 1784 by an act of the General Assembly (Mar. & Cr., p. 330). They were the first new counties established in Georgia after the Revolutionary War and were fashioned from lands ceded by the Cherokees and Creeks in the Treaties of Augusta in 1783.

Named for Benjamin Franklin, Georgia's 9th county consisted of all ceded lands north of Cherokee Corner on the eastern tip of today's Clarke County -- an area that includes all of today's Banks, Barrow, Clarke, Jackson, Oconee, and Stephens counties, plus portions of Habersham, Hart, Hall, Gwinnett, and Madison counties. Though the Georgia Land Office began granting headright and bounty land grants in the new county, it was several years before the county had enough inhabitants to organize a county government.

Created entirely from Franklin County were Jackson County (1796) and Habersham County (1818). Additionally, portions of Franklin County were used to help create the following counties: Madison (1811), Hart (1853), Banks (1858), and Stephens (1905).

Franklin County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1796
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Franklin County Page