Banks County


Click map for more
county information

Banks County was created by an act of the General Assembly signed by Gov. Joseph E. Brown on Dec 11, 1858. According to that legislation, the county was to be laid out from portions of Franklin and Habersham counties on Feb. 1, 1859, with county officers elected the next month. Georgia's 129th county was named for Dr. Richard Banks, a noted Gainesville physician and surgeon who died three years earlier.

Banks County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Banks County Page