Baldwin County


Click map for more
county information

In 1802, the Creek Indians and U.S. commissioners signed the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson, which ceded Creek lands in two different areas to Georgia. The northern cession involved land west of the Oconee River, which the legislature divided into two new counties -- Baldwin and Wilkinson -- on May 11, 1803. Georgia's 29th county (see map) was named for Abraham Baldwin, one of Georgia's two signers of the U.S. Constitution and founder of the University of Georgia. In 1805, the Creeks signed the Treaty of Washington, which extended Georgia westward to the Ocmulgee River. An act of June 26, 1806 added lands ceded by the Creeks to Baldwin and Wilkinson counties (see map). On Dec. 10, 1807, the legislature divided Baldwin County into four new counties -- Morgan, Jones, Putnam, and Randolph (which was renamed Jasper). In the same act, Baldwin County was given land east of the Oconee River from Hancock and Washington counties (see map).

 Historical Maps
 
1803
 
1806
 
1807
 
1822
 
1823
 
1830
 
1834
 
1839
 
1846
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Baldwin County Page