- Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers State Historical
- Located on Chippewa Square, at Bull and McDonough
- 32°04.567, 081°05.592
- DR. WM. A. CARUTHERS
- Early American Novelist
One block west of this marker -- at the
northwest corner of Hull and Whitaker Streets -- stood, formerly,
the residence of William Alexander Caruthers, Virginia's earliest
significant novelist. He resided in Savannah for several years
before his death in 1846. Dr. Caruthers, who married Louisa Catherine
Gibson of Whitemarsh Island, Chatham County, moved in 1837 to
this city where he successfully practiced medicine. He took a
prominent part in affairs in Savannah as a realtor; was one of
the founders of the Georgia Historical Society and while an Alderman,
1841-1844, was instrumental in giving Savannahians direct election
of their Mayors.
As one of the South's pioneering historical
romancers, Caruthers rewrote and first published at Savannah
his last and finest novel, "The Knights of the Golden Horse-Shoe"
(1841), one of the earliest novels to be published in book form
in Georgia. His first novel, "The Kentuckian in New-York"
(1834), contains an admiring description of Savannah. Dr. Caruthers
died of tuberculosis at Marietta, Ga., in 1846 and is buried
there in an unlocated grave in St. James' churchyard.
HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
Go to Chatham County Historical Markers page
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website