West Armuchee Valley State Historical Marker
Located at intersection of Ga. 136 and W. Armuchee Rd. 4-5 miles west of Villanow
WEST ARMUCHEE VALLEY
Southward for several miles is the pleasant little valley of W. Armuchee Creek; Dick Ridge on the E; Taylor's Ridge on the W.
Situated 3 mi. S. are Old Shiloh Ch. & the Wm. Little res. - where Maj. Gen. John B. Hood was taken from the field of Chickamauga to recover from a leg amputation, Sept. - Oct., 1863.
May 8, 1864. Maj. Gen. Grenville Dodge & the 16th A.C. marched E. on this road from Ship's Gap - being joined enroute near Villanow by Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 15th A.C. These were Army of the Tenn. troops, commanded by Maj. Gen. J.B. McPherson - enroute to a surprise seizure of Snake Creek Gap near Resaca.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953