Stoneman Raid State Historical
Located on Main St. (U.S. 441) in front of
Madison-Morgan County Cultural Center, Madison
THE STONEMAN RAID
Closing in on Atlanta in July
1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, found its vast fortifications
"too strong to assault and too extensive to invest."
To force an evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. George Stoneman's cavalry
(2112 men and 2 guns) to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which
the city's defenders were supplied. Retreating from an attempt
on Macon, Stoneman was intercepted on the 31st at Sunshine Church
(19 miles NE of Macon) by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., who,
with only 1300 cavalry deluded him into believing that he was
being surrounded. Stoneman covered the escape of Adams' and Capron's
brigades, then he surrendered, with about 600 men and his artillery
and train, to what Iverson had convinced him was a superior force.
Clear of the field, both brigades
marched toward Eatonton (22 miles S). At Murder Creek (8 miles
SW of Eatonton), Capron turned toward Rutledge (9 miles W), through
which he passed next day and joined Adams north of Madison. Adams
continued to Eatonton and camped about five miles north of town
on the Madison road.
Reaching Madison about 2 P.M.
on August 1st, Adams "destroyed a large amount of commissary
and quartermaster stores" and other property. Marching on,
he met Capron and camped about midnight "twelve miles from
the bridge crossing the Oconee River, near Athens." Separated
again next day, Adams reaching the Union lines safely; but Capron,
resting for two hours near Winder, was surprised before dawn
on August 3rd and lost his entire command.
104-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL