OLD FEDERAL ROAD
The route veering southeastward
is a remnant of the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia's earliest
vehicular way and the first thoroughfare linking Tennessee and
Georgia across the Cherokee Nation. Permission to open the highway
was granted by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in
The trace, which followed the course
of an early Indian trading path to Augusta, became a noted route
down which Kentucky and Tennessee cattlemen drove stock to markets
in Georgia and South Carolina.
The site called "Bloodtown"
was a resting point for stock drovers.
105-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
- Old Federal Road State Historical
Located on Old U.S. 411 at Bloodtown, two miles north