The road was established pursuant
to an Act passed by the Colonial Assembly April 2nd, 1770. It
connected the early settlement of Queensboro, at the head of
Ogeechee River navigation, with Savannah. It became one of the
most important stage and post routes in the state when Louisville
was the Capital.
On September 16th, 1777, the State
Assembly named the first Board of Commissioners for its exclusive
maintenance. They were Robert Dixon, Thomas Mills, Abraham Mincey,m
William Blackman and John Mizell.
124-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
- Louisville Road State Historical
- Located at U.S. 301 and Ga. 17 at Old Cooperville