Laurens County was created by Act
of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally, it contained
all of Pulaski and part of Johnson Counties. Among prominent
residents of Laurens County were Gov. Geo. M. Troup and Gen.
David Blackshear. It was named for Col. John Laurens (1755-1821),
aide-de-camp to Gen. Washington. He fought with gallantry at
Brandwine, Germantown, Monmouth, Savannah and Charleston. First
officers of Laurens County, commissioned Jan. 14, 1808, were:
James Thompson, Sheriff; Amos Love, Clk. Sup. Ct.; James Yarborough,
Clk. Inf. Ct.; John Thomas, Surveyor; William Yarborough, Coroner.
- Laurens County State Historical
- Located on a traffic island adjacent to front of
courthouse, Dublin, Ga.
- 087-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website
Go to Laurens County Courthouse page