State Historical Marker
Located at Webster County
Courthouse, Preston, Ga.
the Indian village by that name on Lannahassee Creek, was the first white settlement
(1836) after the Creek Indians left the area to migrate westward. About 1851 the
town moved a mile or two away and became McIntosh. When the County of Kinchafoonee,
later Webster, was created in 1853, the name of the settlement was changed to
Preston and it became the county seat. The Creek Indians lived in this section
from about 1700 until their migration after the treaty at Indian Springs.
HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955