- James Everett WPA Historical Marker
- Located at the City Hall in Fort Valley, Ga.
Here on the Indian Path that connected
two Indian Trails, from Hartford to Fort Hawkins and from Barnard's
Crossing to the Old Creek Agency, James Abbington Everett established
in the 1820's the Indian Trading Post around which Fort Valley
arose. he married Mary Beaufort Greene in 1835. At his death
in 1848, he owned 242 slaves, and more than 12,000 acres of land.
A public benefactor, he gave land for church and school use here,
secured for Fort Valley the Southwestern R.R. and devoted his
wealth to Christian Education in Georgia.
- GA-49 D-6
- JAMES A. EVERETT
- FOUNDER OF FORT VALLEY
- [WPA Marker]
Go to Peach County Historical Markers web page
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website