- Augustus Hurt House State Historical
- Located in the parking lot of the Carter Presidential
Center in Atlanta
200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation
residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed
by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records
as the Howard house.
July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C.
troops, in line with Federal advances on Atlanta, occupied this
hill, having marched via old Williams Mill Rd. Sherman, together
with Howard & Schofield, maintained command posts here during
the afternoon while McPherson's Army of the Tennessee fought
defensively at & S. of the Ga. R.R. where two of Hood's corps
[CSA] attacked it. Here, McPherson's body was brought from battlefield
enroute to burial at Clyde, Ohio.
060-79 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
- AUGUSTUS HURT HOUSE