- Home of Henry R. Jackson State
- Located at the Oglethorpe Club on Bull Street at
Gaston Street in Savannah
This building, now the quarters
of a private Club, was erected in 1857 for Edmund Molyneux, British
consul at Savannah, and served as his residence and as the Consulate
until Molyneux's return to England in 1863. In 1865 the Molyneux
house was appropriated by the Union army as headquarters for
General O.O. Howard and his successor, Gen. Wm. F. Barry. Representatives
of the family claimed that furnishings valued at more than $10,000.00,
including part of the famous Molyneux wine cellar, were damaged
or removed during the Federal occupation.
The mansion was purchased from
the Molyneux family in 1885 by Gen. Henry R. Jackson and was
the home of that illustrious Georgian until his death in 1898.
Jackson equally distinguished himself
as lawyer, soldier, diplomat and poet. He was Judge of the Eastern
Circuit of Georgia (1849 -- '53) and in 1859 was special prosecutor
for the United States in the celebrated case of the slave ship
"Wanderer". He fought in the Mexican War and won distinction
in the Confederate army as a brigadier general. He was ambassador
to Austria (1854--'58) and minister to Mexico (1885--'86). A
gifted poet, the best known of Jackson's poems is "The Red
Old Hills of Georgia".
025-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
- FORMER HOME HENRY R.
- UNION ARMY HEADQUARTERS,