|Welcome to GeorgiaInfo | What's New | This Day in Georgia History | Instructional Handout Masters | Credits | Photos & Images | Georgia Trivia ||
Old Fort King George State Historical Marker
Old Fort King George State Historical Marker, Darien, McIntosh County, Ga.
OLD FORT KING GEORGE
Site of old Fort King George, built in 1721 by Col. John
Barnwell, of South Carolina, under British Royal orders.
This tiny cypress blockhouse, 26 feet square, with 3 floors,
and a lookout in the gable from which the guard could watch
over the Inland Waterway and St. Simon's Island, was flanked
by officers quarters and barracks, and the entire area was
surrounded on all but the river side by a moat and palisades.
Garrisoned by his Majesty's Independent Company, with
replacements of Colony scouts, the fort was occupied for six
years. During that time more than 140 officers and soldiers
lost their lives here and were buried on the adjacent bluff.
The first of the British 18th century scheme of posts built
to counteract French expansion in America, Fort King George
was also a flagrant trespass upon Spanish territory, and
during its occupation Spain continually demanded that it
The troops were withdrawn to Port Royal in 1727, but until
Oglethorpe arrived in Savannah in 1733 South Carolina kept
two lookouts at old Fort King George.
095-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957
Photo: Ed Jackson
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website
|©2013 Digital Library of Georgia||UGA | GALILEO | Contact Us|