- Fort Darien State Historical Marker
Located on U.S. 17 on the northeastern end of the
Darien River bridge, Darien
Fort Darien, laid out by General
James Edward Oglethorpe in 1736, was built on this first high
bluff of the Altamaha river to protect the new town of Darien.
It was a large fortification, with two bastions and 2 half bastions,
and was defended by several cannon.
From the time of its settlement
by Scottish Highlanders in 1736, until after the Battle of Bloody
Marsh in 1742, the town of Darien was in constant danger from
the Spaniards of Florida. Often for weeks at a time the Highland
soldiers were absent from home on military campaigns, with only
a few men left to guard the women and children who, for safety,
lived within the walls of the fort. On several occasions the
post was fired upon by Spaniards or their Indian allies.
After the War with Spain was ended,
the fort, no longer needed, fell into ruins, but was rebuilt
and armed during the Revolution, when it again saw action, this
time against British forces.
- FORT DARIEN
- 095-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL