EAGLE & PHENIX MILLS
In 1851 the Eagle Mill, one of the pioneer textile plants of Columbus, was built on this site to manufacture cotton and woolen goods. During the War the mill manufactured goods for the Confederacy and the State of Georgia. Products included grey uniform tweed, cotton duct for tents, cotton stripes for army shirts, cotton jeans, osnaburgs, sheetings, rope and India rubber cloth. Federal forces burned the mill April 17, 1865. It rose from the ashes in 1866 as Eagle & Phenix Mills, the added name to signify its rebirth. The present plant consists of a series of mills.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION