Confederate Battery State Historical Marker
Confederate Battery State
Located on Horton Rd., Jekyll
In 1861, Confederate
battery positions on Jekyll Island were
one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy
guns en barbette,
each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell.
shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also.
Of greater strength
than batteries on St. Simons Island, the
palmetto logs, heavy timber, sandbags, and rail-
road irons were
mounted for the protection of Brunswick.
1862, Gen. Robert e. Lee requested permission
from Gov. Joseph
E. Brown to dismantle the stronghold as "the
of the island and Brunswick have removed themselves
to inland points. Maj. Edward C. Anderson re-
moved the guns,
sending them to Savannah.
March 9, 1862,
Lt. Miller of the USS Mohican landed a rifle
marines, hoisting the Union flag over the island.
1863, to strengthen fortifications at Port Royal,
S.C., a Federal
force was sent by flatboat to seize the railroad
of the men who had helped build the defenses guided
to them and "the men enjoyed demolishing them
far more than
they had relished their construction."
063-38 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
Photo: Ed Jackson
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website