This Milledgeville Federal-style
house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George
T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was
operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to
serve visitors and legislators during the city's years as capital
of Georgia (1807-1868). In 1857 the house was purchased by merchant
Daniel B. Stetson. His daughter Elizabeth married Judge Daniel
B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention, in 1868. From
1951-1966 the house was renowned as the Sanford House Tea Room.
The family then donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society
who moved it here in 1966.
- Brown-Stetson-Sanford House GHS
Located at 601 West Hancock Street in Milledgeville
- Erected by The
Georgia Historical Society and
- Old Capital Historical