University of Georgia State Historical Marker
Photo: David Seibert
University of Georgia
State Historical Marker
Located at the UGA Arch at
the Main Entrance to the Campus, Broad St. opposite College
40,000 acres of land in 1784 and charter in 1785,
was the first granted by a state for a government
After Louisville and then Greensboro were
the current site was chosen.
The first president,
and author of the school's charter, Abraham
when the doors opened, and was succeeded by
The University first began to thrive under Moses
became president in 1819. Alonzo Church was president
During the War
for Southern Independence, most of the students
Confederate Army. The University closed its doors in
1864, and did
not open again until January 1866. After the war,
veterans became students.
professors were John and Joseph LeConte and
Charles F. McCay,
while famous students were Robert Toombs,
Stephens, Howell Cobb, and Crawford W. Long.
Plans for a
modern university were first developed by Walter B.
Hill and realized
under Harmon W. Caldwell. The best known of
presidents (now chancellors) was David C. Barrow.
of the modern plant was Chancellor Steadman V. Sanford.
HISTORIC MARKER 1991
- (Note: The first state historical marker
for the University of Georgia was erected by the Georgia Historical
Commission in 1952. The above marker is a replacement for the
earlier one and contains essentially the same text, with only
minor editorial changes. Interestingly, both it and the 1952
original contain a factual error. Since 1932, the chief officer
of the University of Georgia has been known as "president"
-- not "chancellor" (a title reserved for the chief
officer of the State Board of Regents).
- Click here
for a view of the University of Georgia Arch and historic marker.
Go to Clarke County Historical Markers
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website