BRITISH ARMY CROSSING
On the morning of march 2nd, 1779,
the British Command of Lieut.-Col. Prevost reached the west bank
of the creek here after an all night march from Hudson's Ferry.
The bridge had been destroyed by Col. Leonard Marbury's Dragons
guarding the rear of Gen. Ashe's troops bivouacked at Freeman-Miller
Bridge 15 miles south.
Infantry and horse forded the stream,
engaged and defeated Marbury's Dragons, capturing some while
others escaped over Burton's Ferry. Marbury's message to Ashe
was intercepted. Prevost's troops and artillery crossed on pontoons
before day of the 3rd, and arrived at the surprised Ashe's rear
by 3:00 P.M.
124-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL
Go to Screven County Historical Markers page
Go to Georgia Historical Markers website