Madison County's present courthouse -- the fourth in the county's
history -- was constructed in 1996-97. It replaced the old
photo], which still stands on the downtown courthouse square.
The previous structure, built in 1901, replaced a frame courthouse,
which in turn replaced an earlier wooden courthouse--all three
built on the same site. Eventually, the old courthouse proved
too small for county government needs, forcing the county to
rent office space in downtown Danielsville. In the mid-1990s,
the county commission decided to use the former Danielsville
Elementary School two blocks away as the core of a new and
much larger county courthouse/government complex. The old school
underwent a substantial renovation in 1996, with the actual
courtroom and judicial offices part of a new addition to the
old school in 1997-- all within a newly designed exterior.
The result was essentially a new courthouse, although its official
title is "Madison County Government Complex."
Historical Marker: Click here
Madison County was created on Dec. 5, 1811 by an act of the
General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1811, p. 114). Created from portions
of Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson, and Oglethorpe counties,
Georgia's 38th county was named for Pres. James Madison, who
at the time held office as the nation's fourth president.
No new counties have been created from Madison County, but
between 1813 and 1877 the legislature made numerous transfers
of land between Madison and neighboring counties.
Danielsville [named in honor of state militia Gen. Allen Daniel,
who had served in the American Revolution and later donated
the land for the county seat]. Exactly when the community was
first settled is not known, but in 1812, the General Assembly
designated Danielsville as Madison County's seat of government
(Ga. Laws 1812, p. 23). In 1817, the legislature incorporated
Danielsville as a town (Ga. Laws 1817, p. 7).
Size of County (Total
Area): 284.9 square miles
County Rank in Total
Area: 106th out of 159
City of Danielsville