Habersham County State Historical Marker
Habersham County State
Located adjacent to the Habersham County
Courthouse, Clarkesville, Ga.
Habersham County was created
by Acts of the Legislature, Dec. 15, 1818, and named for Joseph
Habersham (1751-1815), of Savannah, who had a summer home near
Clarkesville. He served in the Revolution as a Lieut. Col. in
the Georgia Continental line; was twice Speaker of the General
Assembly; Mayor of Savannah, 1792-'93; and Postmaster General
of the United States, 1795-1801. The first Habersham County officers
sworn in after the County was created were Miles Davis, Clerk
of the Superior Court; Wm. B. Wofford, Sheriff; Joseph Dobson,
Clerk of the Inferior Court; Wm. Steedly, Coroner; William Wofford,
Sr., Surveyor. Benjamin Cleveland, Absalom Holcombe, John Kiser,
Thomas Brock, James O'Neal, Joseph Whitehead and John Bryan were
sworn in as Justices of the Peace in 1821.
Cicero H. Sutton was the
first Ordinary of Habersham County.
Habersham County is noted
for its healthful climate and beautiful scenery, its peaches
and apples, and its fine schools.
HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955