|Welcome to GeorgiaInfo | What's New | This Day in Georgia History | Instructional Handout Masters | Credits | Photos & Images | Georgia Trivia ||
Date Built: 1923
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: J.J. Baldwin
Other Information: Interior extensively remodeled 1979-80.
County Courthouse Historical Marker: Click here
County History: On Aug. 11, 1914, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Evans County from Bulloch and Tattnall counties (Ga. Laws 1914, p. 33). In that year's general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 3, 1914, which marks the official date of Evans County's creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county's creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).
According to the 1914 constitutional amendment, Candler County was created from portions of Bulloch and Tattnall counties (see map) with the following boundaries:
Why was Evans County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145 -- the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties -- 16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution -- one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision (see text) that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.
Georgia's 150th county was named for former Confederate general Clement A. Evans (1833-1911), who had died three years earlier.
County Seat: The proposed constitutional amendment creating Evans County named Claxton as the county seat. Claxton began around 1890 as a train stop in eastern Tattnall County on the newly constructed railroad connecting Alabama with Savannah. According to Kenneth Krawkow, the community that grew up around the train station was named Henricks, after the name of one of the first residents. However, because there was another Georgia post office by that name, local residents chose to rename their community after Kate Claxton, who was a popular actress of the time. The legislature incorporated Claxton on July 28, 1911.
Size of County (Total Area): 186.9 square miles
County Rank in Total Area: 145th out of 159
|©2013 Digital Library of Georgia||UGA | GALILEO | Contact Us|