In January 1791, one month after Elbert County's
creation, the plantation home of T.A. Carter served as courtroom for the
county's first superior court. What served as the county's courthouse for
the next nine years is not known but in 1800, Elbert County's first courthouse
-- a two-story wooden building -- was constructed. A new two-story brick courthouse was built around 1853, serving Elbert County for the next forty years. By 1893, however, the structure was being criticized in the local newspaper on a number of counts–including its condition and location. A movement for a new courthouse began that year, and on May 3, 1894, ceremonies were held for the dedication of the cornerstone of a new courthouse. By this time, Elbert had an active granite industry, and granite was incorporated
into the new structure. (For early photos of the courthouse, see postcard 1, postcard 2, and postcard 3.) The building's interior was extensively renovated
in 1964. For decades, the brick exterior of the courthouse was painted white (see photo). In the early 2000s, the exterior brick was repainted red to resemble the original appearance.
County History: Elbert County was created from Wilkes County on Dec. 10, 1790 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 10). Georgia's 13th county was named for Gen. Samuel Elbert, who commanded Continental forces in Georgia during the American Revolution and subsequently served as govenor (1785-86).
Portions of Elbert County were used to help create Madison County (1811) and Hart County (1853).
County Seat: What was first known as Elbertville was designated county seat in 1790 and later incorporated by the legislature on Dec. 10, 1803, as Elberton.
Size of County (Total
Area): 374.6 square miles
County Rank in Total
Area: 68th out of 159
City of Elberton