Clayton County State
Located at the Masonic Lodge (Old Clayton
County Courthouse), Jonesboro, Ga.
Clayton County was created
by Act of Nov. 30, 1858 from Fayette
and Henry Counties. It was named for
Augustine Smith Clayton, born at
Fredericksburg, Va., Nov.
27, 1783, who moved to Georgia before
1800. A graduate of the U. of Ga.,
he was a lawyer, legislator, judge. During
two terms in Congress he opposed tariff and
U.S. bank measures. He died in Athens, June
21, 1839. First officers of Clayton County, commissioned
Jan. 13, 1859, were: Robert K. Holliday,
Clk. Sup. Ct.; A.J. Hayes, Clk. Inf. Ct.; James
McConnell, Ord; William Gunter, Tax Rec.; Jefferson
Kirkland, Tax Col.; B.W. Bonner, Surveyor; John K. Landers, Coroner;
J.H. Waldrop, Sheriff.
HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
Go to Georgia Historic Markers website
Go to Clayton County Courthouse page